Mermaid Mobile with Free Pattern

I think I've mentioned a few times that I've been working on a project for a friend. Well, I recently finished it and given it to her, so now I won't be risking her seeing it on the blog first and I can reveal...



You can get the pattern here as a Google Doc. It's not the prettiest pattern (I didn't have time to erase all the pencil marks from the original drawings before scanning) but it will get the job done.








This project is pretty straight forward. Cut out the pieces of felt in your desired colors and assemble. I used a metal craft hoop, with lots of sea-colored yarn tied on, then tied together at the top. Simple.

But here are a few of the not-so-obvious tricks I used to make this mobile.


For example, attaching the pieces to the strings to hang from the hoop.


I used strips of black felt as an anchor by tying yarn around the center



inserting into the center of the piece



stuffing



then sewing up.



I stitched straight through the unstuffed smaller starfish to attach them to the yarn.


For the jellyfish, I used the same technique. I should also mention that I machine sewed the yarn for the jellyfish tentacles between the front and back pieces to make sure they were secure. The rest was hand sewn.


I left the body two dimensional (as in I didn't stuff it) for simplicity sake. I also improvised the hair and the top, so they are not included in the pattern. 



Here is a close up of the layering on the skirt.



If you decide to use the pattern and have any other questions, then feel free to leave a comment here if anything comes up.


Happy crafting! 

Follow on Bloglovin

If you enjoyed this post, PLEASE click here to vote for me on top mommy blogs. I appreciate your support!

Just Click To Send A Vote For Us @ Top Mommy Blogs

Comments

  1. This is so pretty! Lovely mobile for children. Thanks for joining with us at #pintorials

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts